- House of the Gods
- Libretto: Martin Riley
- Gwynneth and the Green Knight
- Libretto: Martin Riley
- 7 singers: sop, mezzo, boy treb, ten, bar, b-bar, bass.
Ensemble: fl(pc), ob(cor), hn, tr, trb, 2pc; hp; 2vln; vla; vlc;
- Comedy opera in 2 acts for family audience. Commissioned by
Arts Council of England and Stephen Arlen Memorial Award. First
performances in Wales (Brecon, Bangor, Cardiff, Mold, Swansea) in
April 2002 by Music Theatre Wales.
- Big Star Rising! 1996
- orchestra: wind:188.8.131.52; 2hn; 2tr; 3pc; hp;pno; strings:
- workshop recording by Brunel Ensemble/Christopher
- Blue 1994 (14')
- wind:184.108.40.206: 2hn; 2tr; 2trb; b.trb; tba; 4pc; hp; strings:
- Commissioned and first performed by Cardiff Philharmonic
Orchestra, Oct. 94, Llandaff Cathedral. Subsequently winner of
the BBC National Orchestra of Wales Young Composers Competition,
and performed by BBC NOW at St. David"s Hall, Cardiff, Jan. 1996
+ BBC Radio 3 broadcast, Oct. 1997.
- Celtic Song 2000 (15')
- Words: traditional Scottish
- Choir (SSATB) and string quartet
- Atmospheric setting of an ancient traditional Scottish poem,
commissioned by the Norfolk and Norwich Festival. First performed
11th Oct. 2000 in Norwich Cathedral by the Norwich Festival
Voices and the Schidlof String Quartet, conducted by Nigel
- Tales for the Dead of Night 2000
- Words: Martin Riley
- Children's choir with piano accompaniment and optional solo
- A cycle of five songs based on ancient Shropshire legends.
The words and music were written with the pupils from five
schools in Shropshire and Staffordshire. Commissioned by
Shropshire County Council, Telford and Wrekin and Stoke on Trent
Councils and West Midlands Arts.
- shimmering glimmering 1995
- Words: Ave generosa by Hildegard of Bingen
- Twelve women's voices
- First performed by The Curate's Egg, directed by Adey
Grummet, Walsingham Festival, Norfolk, September 1998. Featured
on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour.
- Solo Voice and Ensemble
- The Stargazer 2002 (20')
- tenor voice and strings (220.127.116.11.1)
- Commissioned by the London Mozart Players. First
performances: Ashley Catlin and the London Mozart Players,
conducted by David Juritz: October 2002: 16th, Louth; 17th,
Skegness; 18th, Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire.
- The Return of King Raedwald 2000/1
- Libretto: Kevin Crossley-Holland
- bass-baritone solo, fl(pc); ob; b.cl; hn; hp; pc; 2vln; vla;
- Commissioned by Wingfield Arts, supported by the Hinrichsen
Foundation. First performance by Andrew Slater and the London
Mozart Players, directed by David Juritz: 6th July 2001, Eye,
- String Quartet
- String Quartet no.2 1997
- Commissioned by the Go West Festival with funds from the Arts
Council of Wales. First performance by the Bingham String
Quartet, Cardigan, Sept. 1997.
- String Quartet no. 1 1992/4
- string quartet
- First performed by the Bingham String Quartet at Bath
Festival, June 1994
- Mixed Ensemble
- Round Round Midnight 1993
- cl; sax; tr; trb; marimba; vibes; pno; 2vln; vla; vlc;
- First performed by Charlie Barber and Band, Cardiff,
- Indigo Eyes and Silver Glances 1996/7
- flute, viola, harp and cello
- First performance by the Cambridge New Music Players, London,
- Seguiriya II 1994 (6')
- fl; cl; vln; vlc; pno.
- Arrangement of solo piano piece, first performance by PM
Music Ensemble, Cardiff, Dec. 1994
- floating turning spinning 2001
- oboe d'amore and harp
- Commissioned by Okeanos (Jinny Shaw: oboe; Lucy Wakeford:
harp) with funds from the David James Music Trust and the RVW
Trust. First performance, University of East Anglia, March
- The Legend of Boscale Tarn 1998
- cello duet
- First performance by Andrew Schulman and Philip Sheppard,
Norfolk and Norwich Festival, Oct. 1998. Broadcast on BBC Radio
- Nocturne 1998 (8')
- cello and piano
- Commissioned by the Guild of Welsh Composers with funds from
the Arts Council of Wales. First performance by members of the
Saskia Trio, Lower Machen Festival, June 1998.
- Nocturne 1998 (8')
- flute and piano
- Arrangement of the above piece for performances by Lynne
Plowman and David Appleton.
- The Mermaids' Lagoon 1998
- piano duet
- Arrangement of the solo harp piece first performed by David
Appleton and Kate Ryder, Chard Festival, May 1998.
- Sky High Blue 1993 (5')
- oboe and harp/ piano
- First performance by Nick Williams and David Appleton,
Cardiff, 1993. A winner of the Cornelius Cardew Prize.
- Grrr.... 1998 (10')
- Commissioned by Paul Ayres with funds from the Kenneth
Leighton Trust. First performed: Southwark Cathedral and St.
Paul"s Cathedral, London, Sept. 1998. Toured in Australia and New
- The Mermaids Lagoon 1995
- First performance by Elinor Benett, Haverfordwest, Sept.
1995. Numerous subsequent performances and BBC Radio 3 broadcast
by Lucy Wakeford. Later version for piano duet.
- Interlude 1995 (4')
- First performance by Vicki Higginson, Cardiff, March
- Seguiriya I 1994 (6')
- First performance by David Appleton, Cardiff, Dec. 1994. BBC
Radio 3 broadcast, June 1995.
- Four Dreamstates 1994
- solo cello
- First performance by Vicki Higginson, Cardiff, 1992. Four
short pieces which can be performed separately.